Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Poolside: A Zen Experience




My favorite hour at Pinecrest pool is a zen experience. I'm all alone in the water, surrounded by green hills and azure sky. There's nobody on the deck watching me glide up and down the pool the long way. I count every length I swim, until I and the water are one and I forget about the count. At this point, I'm strong, not tired, and could go on all day. Oh! I wish I had all the time in the world.

If your timing is right...during the adult swim hours...a visit to Pinecrest pool can be a chance to meet and relax with old, or new friends. On a recent Friday afternoon I splashed around with Edie Seger and her daughter, Katherine, while catching up on the local news. Paths crossed often with members of the Holeman family, particularly Marilyn.


Some would rather not have kids around. I rather like seeing them having a good time at the pool. It reminds me of my childhood when I spent nearly every day in the pool, having fun by perfecting my strokes. Julian kids have good manners; marco polo and cannon ball battles are rare. They try to avoid crashing into someone like me who is gliding (I'm a slow swimmer) back and forth. The little ones are fun to watch as they paddle through the water wearing their inflatable wings. The first swimming lesson for some.

I can't say enough about the Pinecrest staff. All are friendly and helpful. When she's there, Sydney never fails to stop and chat, reminding me that the retreat is home to many vintage trailers. Perhaps it's the only such place in Southern California or beyond. As a longtime camper and RVer, I appreciate seeing those old rigs, so lovingly restored and well kept by owners half their age. I love those original classy Airstreams, Land Yachts, Wally Byam called them in the early days.



Poolside Reflections: Written by Bobbi Zane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments and ideas with us!